New Permit to Carry
The Isanti County Sheriff's Office issues handgun "permits to carry" for residents of Isanti County. All Isanti County residents who want to apply for a permit to carry a handgun must do so in person through the Isanti County Sheriff's Office.
- Apply in person
- Be at least 21 years old and a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Provide a government issued photo ID (driver's license, state photo identification card or valid passport with photo)
- Present evidence that they have received approved training in the safe use of a pistol within one year prior to the date of application per MN statute 624.714, sub. 2a.
- Submit a completed Permit to Carry application. If something does not apply to you, please acknowledge with "NA". An incomplete application will not be denied.
- Pay fee of $100.00 (cash or check). This is a non-refundable fee.
We will conduct a series of background-related checks to assure you meet the eligibility requirements established by state law. Once those checks are successfully completed, a permit will be issued that is valid for five years and may be used to purchase a handgun statewide. In addition, applicants must not be prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. For additional information, click here to visit the BCA.
Renewal of Permit to Carry
The Isanti County Sheriff's Office requires the following guidelines for the renewal of a Permit to Carry a Pistol in the State of Minnesota (MN Statute 624.714):
- Any 5 year permit expires at 12:00 a.m. midnight, on the date of expiration shown on the permit.
- The applicant must appear in person and renew in the county in which they reside. Out of state residents can renew at any sheriff's office.
- When renewing a permit, applicants must present evidence that they have received approved training in the safe use of a pistol within one year prior to the date of the renewal application.
- A permit can be renewed up to 90 days prior to the expiration date of the current permit. The renewal gun permit fee will be $75.00.
- After the expiration date, but within 30 days after the expiration, the permit can still be renewed by paying a fee of $85.00. During this time the old permit is not valid and you will not be able to carry until after you receive your renewal permit.
- 31 days after expiration the old permit can no longer be renewed. An application will have to be submitted for a new gun permit. The gun permit fee will then be $100.00.
Applicants are reminded that the Sheriff's Office has 30 days to process and mail a permit or to deny the application.
Make all checks payable to Isanti County Sheriff's Office. Applications for both permits to purchase and permits to carry are ONLY accepted Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (excluding holidays) at the Isanti County Sheriff's Office.
Permit to Purchase or Transfer a Firearm
If you reside within a municipality, you will apply for your Permit to Purchase with your police department.
- Be at least 21 years of age to purchase a hand gun and 18 years of age to purchase a military style assault rifle.
- Permit to Purchase applications must be submitted in person by the applicant. Applicants must present a current Minnesota driver's license, state issued ID or Passport (or a legible colored photo copy).
- Application approval may take up to seven days. If your application is approved, your card will be mailed directly to your home address. If you are denied, you will receive a letter stating why.
For additional information and restrictions, click here to visit the BCA.
Applications for both permits to purchase and permits to carry are ONLY accepted Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (excluding holidays) at the Isanti County Sheriff's Office.
For information pertaining to handgun legislation, call:
Office of the State of Minnesota Attorney General